Sheryl Rae Ghezzi practices comprehensive family law. With 30 years of experience, she is known as being an effective negotiator, vigorous litigator and dedicated to advocating for her clients inside and outside the courtroom. Careful listening, effective communication, extensive preparation, and tactical litigation strategies are her tools for developing an individualized approach to each case. As each marriage is unique, practical solutions are creatively designed to address each client’s legal requirements whether by collaborative solutions or contested and complex trials.
Sheryl often promotes a cooperative strategy to alleviate the intense stress that divorce clients may experience during the process of transitioning their lives. Conflicts over child custody, visitation and support can be temporarily psychologically harmful and highly uncomfortable for many clients. Sheryl encourages each client to focus on their future and consider divorce as a unique opportunity for a fresh start for their lives. Compassionate legal representation may include wise life course counseling. Motivated by this belief, Sheryl has spent several years developing the popular Focus Forward Family Law Facebook Page to provide entertaining and pertinent information for the general public.
Sheryl has been a proud and active member in her local and the legal community throughout her career. An enthusiastic teacher, Sheryl continues to lecture locally and nationally in the areas of legal ethics, civility and professionalism, child custody, and family law. Sheryl has been awarded the titles of Illinois Super Lawyer and Top Women Attorneys in Illinois by peer recognition.
Honors and Awards
- Top Women Attorneys in Illinois, Chicago Magazine, October, 2013
- Top Attorneys in Illinois, Chicago Magazine, February 2013
- Top Attorneys in Illinois, Chicago Magazine, February 2012
- Illinois Super Lawyer, 2012, 2013
- Who’s Who in American Women
- Who’s Who in America (Lifetime)
- Who’s Who in American Lawyers
- Bureau of National Affairs Award, Publisher, 1984
- Circuit Court of Cook County, Domestic Relations Division, Court Facilitator
- Circuit Court of Cook County, Approved Children’s Representative
- John Marshall Law School: Job Advisory Board (Family Law Committee Chair)
- John Marshall Law School Lawyer to Lawyer Mentoring Program, 2013
- Illinois State Bar Association: Military Affairs Committee, ISBA, 2002 – 2008
- Lincolnwood School Foundation (Founding Member 2002 – 2003)
- Village of Lincolnwood Illinois Human Relations Commission, 2004 to 2009
- Lake Forest College, Alumni Board of Directors 2008 to 2012.
Affiliations and Organizations:
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association
Scholarly Lectures and Writings:
Legal Ethics of E-Mail, National Business Institute, April, 2014; Legal Ethics of E-Mail, National Business Institute, 2013: Civility and Professionalism, National Business Institute, 2013: Ethical Consideration, Divorce Litigation from Start to Finish, National Business Institute, 2013: The Ethics of E-mail 2012, National Teleconference, National Business Institute, 2012: Civility and Professionalism, National Teleconference, National Business Institute, 2012: The Ethics of E-mail, National Teleconference, National Business Institute, 2012: Commencing Divorce Action, Lecturer, Divorce Litigation – Start to Finish, National Business Institute, 2011: New Supreme Court Rules Overview, Lecturer, Preventing Critical Financial Mistakes in Divorce, National Business Institute, 2010: Lecturer, “Preventing Critical Financial Issues During Divorces”, National Business Institute, Ethical Considerations, March 2008: Lecturer, “A Roadmap Through Divorce Proceedings”, National Business Institute, Baby on Board: Handling Child Custody, Visitation and Support Issues, March 2009: Ethical Considerations, National Business Institute, March 2010: Military Issues in Family Law, Lecturer, Military Divorce Issues, Chicago Bar Association, 2006: Child Custody Issues, Lecturer, Handling Illinois Divorces from Start to Finish, National Business Institute, 2004.
- State of Illinois, 1984
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Illinois, 1984
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois, 1984
- U.S. District Court Central District of Illinois, 1984
- Illinois Real Estate Managing Broker (Current)
- John Marshall Law School, J.D. 1984
- Lake Forest College, B.A. Major: Psychology/Political Science
- Kingswood School Cranbrook, 1973